Adventures in Japan <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 1

We Cooked Today

Actually cooked. Not just boiled a bag of curry and slopped it over rice. There was chopping of vegetables and slicing of meat. There may well have been some simmering. It was crazy! Crazy like a Japanese loaf of bread.


That's a full, unopened loaf of bread. Six slices.

Not all bread is like that of course, but it's the norm. Kobe, where I now work, is known for it's baking. During my six minute walk from the train station to where I work, I pass by at least half a dozen bakeries. Plus a few cafes. I think I've lost some weight since coming to Japan but I fear I'm going to put it all back on now that I work in Kobe. The bakeries just smell SO good.

There's a pop band here in Japan called Smap. They've been around for a good long time. They have their own TV show and it is odd. For the first half an hour, they split into two teams of two and cook meals for special guests (all the members are accomplished chefs, or so I've been told), after that they perform some sketch comedy and then they close out the show by singing their latest song. I want to be a member of Smap.

Enough of Smap and their cooking prowess, back to Carla's. She made Niku Jaga tonight. Which is kind of like a soupier Japanese version of stew. It turned out pretty damn nice. That Carla, she's a keeper. Pity about her terrible new haircut.

Comments: Post a Comment