Adventures in Japan <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 18

The Last Full Day In Japan: Sapporo and Otaru

Everything today had an extra layer of crispy sadness. 'This is our last trip on a JR train.' 'This is our last soft ice cream cone.' 'This is our last sunset.' And so on.

We really don't want to leave. It was kind of exciting when we left Canada lo those many years ago. Because we knew we would be back. But this is slightly less concrete.

We will be back, but a lot of people will have left by then. It will not be the same.

I had all kinds of lovely and poetic turns of phrase running through my head today, things that would be lovely to see on this very page.

I could remember, maybe, but I don't want to. I don't want to think about it.

I'll just think about what we did today.

We went to Otaru today. It has glass and canals. There was one stretch of the canal that was particularly scenic. You know how I could tell? Not because I said aloud, "This one stretch of the canal is particularly scenic." because I didn't. But I did see a good dozen arteests painting that small stretch of canal. That is in addition to other arteests selling their wares, mainly photos and pictures of the canal.

All the pictures and photos looked nice though.

The other thing that Otaru is known for, as I mentioned above, is their glassware. I could not say for sure, as I did not see any of it. My foot and leg were feeling quite awful and I did not want to slow Carla down. I like glassware. Carla likes glassware. And not just shotglasses.

She kept sending me texts about how lovely the glassware was. She was incredibly taken with a lot of what she saw. She is not all that easy to impress, so I have to say that the glassware there is super duper.

I also cannot tell you if the locally brewed beer is any good. It was just too expensive, so we did not partake.

Instead we went home and watched some crazy Japanese TV. For the last time.

Comments: Post a Comment