Adventures in Japan <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 4

Working Leaves Less Time For Not Working

Not that that is an excuse for not posting here for such a long stretch. To be fair, I did type up a post a few days ago but the computer ate it. Swallowed it whole, never to be seen again. 'Sallright tho' cuz it wasn't any good no how. Heck, I even forget the particulars.


But I might remember some of them as I type this. There is a fair bit to mention I guess and the act of mentioning some things might stir up memories of others. Or it might not. I've started work is the main big thing. Haven't really taught much of anything. Just been reading lots of manuals and talking to the other people in the office. That's about all I'll say about that. For now. Well, I guess I can mention that the JR Central Station in Kyoto is amazing. It's about 12 stories tall, a good chunk of it is open to the sky and you can take an escalator all the way to the top. My words, they ain't so good. But trust me, it's some darn fine architecture. I may have to dance about it some day.


Segue.


I had another interview, at a school near Kobe. They also loved me. Figures. No one wants me until I get hired somewhere else. We checked out a bit of the Kobe scene. We didn't get to see all that much, but we liked what we saw. So much so that we went back. During the day, like. I like Kobe. It's got the whole by the ocean thing going on, so that's nice. Plus it's totally in Japan, which is a big plus. But it ain't near as crowded as Osaka or Kyoto. There were some really neat and interesting looking buildings. Except for that one. The one that looked all blocky, yet gothic with pyramids on the roof. Kobe also had DSs. We were in Kobe the day the Nintendo DS launched over here in Japan. Carla and I spent all day talking ourselves out of buying one. Then we talked ourselves into buying one. Then we spent a fair bit of time oscillating between the two extremes. Finally we decided to get one. Everywhere was sold out. I was a little bummed.

But I cheered up fairly quick because we ran into Ozzie Ben at the Green Leaf and he gave us free beer. That is like one of my favourite kinds of beer. So we drank and talked to Ben and his friend Will for a while and then we decided to go someplace else.

There's this little place kinda near the Orange House and kinda near the Green Leaf. One could kinda say that it is kinda in the middle. And when I mean little, I mean little. A stand really. With stools outside it. Every time we pass it, there is at least one person standing against the bar, drinking and talking to the girl who runs it. And a dog. Or two. Cute dogs. A white one and a black one. Carla and I always remark to each other when we pass it that we should stop there some time. It seems Ben had the same feelings towards said booze food dog stand. So that is where we three set off to. It was good. The dogs were very friendly, the drinks were fairly inexpensive and the noodles were delicious.


I talked earlier about almost buying a DS. This is maybe kind of some kind of quasi-problem type thing. Maybe. See, I have a job. I'm WORKING, but I won't be paid for a while yet. But I want to spend like I have a job. Because I do. I have a job. I just don't have any income from that job yet. It is irksome. The lack of money didn't stop Carla and I from buying 9 new books this evening. That's around 2582 pages.

The underground shopping arcade in Osaka is massive. It may well be the biggest one in all the world. Carla and I spent around three hours walking around in it. Carrying 2582 pages of weight.

I have a new phone. It's orange. I was going to buy the phone that is also a T.V. and an FM radio but the reception wasn't as good as I would have liked. So I bought the orange one.

That's all for now.


Comments: Post a Comment