Adventures in Japan <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 7

In a back-alley bar somewhere in Osaka...

My boss took me out for okonomiyaki last night after work. Okonomiyaki is kind of like the Japanese version of the omlette. It's made of egg, and various meats and vegetables. You can also get an "omlette" omlette in a lot of restaurants, but those are just egg, sometimes wrapped around noodles or rice. In an okonomiyaki restaurant, they serve your food on a grill right in front of you (but you don't get the show like you do with teppanyaki). And it's not just okonomiyaki, we ate lots of other yummy grilled-type food. My favourite was yakiniku, which apparently comes from Korea. Who knew?

So all told, after working in the chatting room and eating with my boss, I had been making small talk and struggling to understand broken English spoken with a thick Japanese accent for about five hours. I was exhausted. So what did I do? I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning making small talk in the lounge upstairs. Logical, no?

Comments: Post a Comment